Shilajit: A complete overview
Shilajit, the conqueror of mountains and destroyer of weakness is called The Rock Invincible; and is apparently the only ‘cure all’ nutraceutical in Ayurveda. Shilajit is rich in fulvic and humic acids and a storehouse of 84 unique minerals which are distinctive in their own way. Indian folklore describes Shilajit as the nectar of Gods, offering superhuman qualities of youthfulness and immortality. Ancient Texts testify its probable health benefits; now strongly backed up by scientific research.
A Brief Introduction
Shilajit is a blackish brown sticky substance from high altitude rocks (>2500 meters above sea level) which is formed through decomposition of plant extraction like latex and resin. Pertaining to its name, it has origins mainly in the upper reaches of the hilly terrains of the Indian subcontinent, The Himalayan Range. Its presence was later discovered in Iran, Russia, Mongolia and the North of Chile, where it is called Andean Shilajit.
Depending upon varying ecological attributes, Shilajit can vary from a soft yellowish brown colour to a dominating inky black colour. As for the ayurvedic medicinal purpose, the black variant is considered most potent. In local legends, Shilajit is often referred to as Stone oil, Mineral oil and rock sweat, as it is mainly formed during sunlight hours.
The traditional use of this blackish tar has long been confined to people of the Himalayan region only: North Indians, Nepali Sherpas, children in the region who supplement it with Milk, etc. The people swear by Shilajit as a panacea for all their high altitude problems and contemporary research publications even testify their assertion.
For human consumption shilajit comes in 3 forms:
- Powdered form (cheapest, often impure and adulterated),
- Solid crystal form (Over dried form of Resin, Less effective minerals) and
- Resin form (Purest form, most beneficial for health aspects).
Shilajit has one of the highest ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) and a naturally occurring substance with negligible side- effects if taken with precaution, it is easy to understand why Shilajit is one of the most sought-after power-foods!!
Until the late 20th century, most of the health benefits of Shilajit were simply claims from traditional cultures. But now that there is research based evidence backing its benefits (Google scholars, South Asian countries’ Government publications, National Centre for Biotechnology Information, USA website), people are consuming it with more confidence.
The properties of Shilajit make it sustainable as a preventive measure if the intervention is early on; and as a curative measure if the symptoms are discovered at a later stage.
- Cure for Alzheimer’s and a Brain Booster/ Relaxer – In an article by International Journal of Alzhemier’s disease titled Shilajit: A Natural Phytocomplex with Potential Procognitive Activity, established the pros of this product to the cognitive abilities of man and thus curing related diseases.
- Helps Healing Wounds, Ulcers; Anti-Inflammatory Properties – Shilajit possesses some bioactive components that heal wounds and their anti-inflammatory properties make it instrumental in treating Ulcers, Sores, Wounds etc.
- Slow Ageing – The key component of Shilajit, Fulvic Acid, is helpful in slowing ageing of the body as it reduces the presence of free radicals. Also, the acid combined with other healing components of Shilajit help in repairing the cellular damage of the body.
- AntiViral – Some researches also establish that Shilajit can fight off various viruses entering the human body, thus increasing the immunity of the body. Another reason why mountain people used this product to fight various viruses.
- Helps Improving Male Vitality – Consuming Shilajit with warm milk is believed to enhance the function of genitals by increasing blood circulation; thereby increasing the motility and virility of sperms and also increasing Testosterone.
- Cardiac Health Booster – Shilajit is also rich in antioxidants and other natural compounds that are gentle to the heart. Studies also testify the fact that Cardiac health is preserved by consumption of Shilajit as it reduces risk of clots, attacks etc.
- BodyBuilders Delight – The increase in testosterone that is responsible for achieving a healthy and active body results in many alike changes like increase in muscle mass, bone density and reduction of body fat.
- Fights Altitude Sickness – Since ancient times people living in high altitude areas have been using this product for curing Altitude Sickness which can sometimes be very annoying. But those 80+ minerals present in Shilajit are specially blended for this very purpose.
- Cure for Anemia; Prevents Lung Cancer – The humic acid present in Shilajit helps compensate for the iron deficiency caused during anemia and also shilajit pacifies various symptoms of it such as fatigue.
Word of Caution!
Shilajit, though a rare product yet is easily available in the markets even with the street vendors or gully hawkers who tout their shilajit to be the best one. And to caution you, we must mention that Shilajit is one of those products that if consumed adulterated would do more harm than the good the pure one would ever do.
At Puri Brothers, we naturally source Pure Shilajit from our direct tie-ups in himalayan region; our partnerships flourishing for 4 generations with the most trusted ones. Also our Naturally Pure Shilajit is certified by reputed testing labs accredited by NABL (National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories) and FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India) for the highest quantities of Humic Acid (66.8%), Fulvic Acid (10.1%) and the perfect combination of 84 minerals proven for the highest ORAC values.
Even the slightest forms of adulteration are rejected by our internal expert processing teams in order to match the standards of the name ‘Puri Brothers’.
Being a B2B Brand we have all that in mind, what your business requires! Yes, we are fully equipped with the capability of year round supplies of Shilajit- in the form you require. We prefer the Resin form, the purest one, yet as per the requirements of the client we can also easily source the powdered and solid crystal forms. In short, We can cater to all your Shilajit demands, you just have to tell us yours either on +91 8146967058 or email@example.com.